- Flexi Group
MGTO forced to postpone “Macau Week” travel promotion in Qingdao on China COVID concerns
The Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO) has been forced to postpone its latest “Macau Week” travel promotion campaign in mainland China due to COVID-19 concerns.
In a notice posted over the weekend, the MGTO said it had received notice from the organizer in Qingdao that “based on considerations of anti-epidemic work of Qingdao, the ‘Macao Week in Shandong•Qingdao’ … will now be postponed to a later date.”
The event had been scheduled to run from 8 to 12 September 2022 with a view to boosting travel from mainland China to Macau.
It had been planned to be a large-scale street exhibition with all six of Macau’s concessionaires having planned to set up booths on site, alongside other tourism operators.
The MGTO did, however, host a stop of its “Experience Macao, Unlimited” Caravan Roadshow Series in Zhongshan on Saturday.
The caravan roadshow brings to Zhongshan “a kaleidoscope of travel experiences and festive vibes Macau has to offer,” the MGTO said.
“It is a colorful showcase of the city’s ‘tourism+’ dimensions ranging from events and festivals, gastronomy, sports, wedding and travel photography to leisure travel and more. Mainland residents can enjoy a multihued picture of the destination.”
The postponement of “Macao Week in Shandong•Qingdao” comes as mainland China ordered two more cities into lockdown over the weekend, including its sixth largest city of Chengdu and the tech hub of Shenzhen.